Special Appeal: Rondeau Provincial Park

Point Pelee Killing Spree, Chase Threatened Species

COURT ENDS CORMORANT SLAUGHTER IN ALL EASTERN STATES

Low Impact Development - An Old New Idea

Kathleen Wynne, Please Don't Clearcut Ontario

Massive Expansion of Ontario's Spring Bear Hunt

City of London Destroys Another Natural Area: Protecting Singing Frog Creek

Algonquin Park Cottage Leases - Update

18.000 Mourning Doves Killed

Nuisance Wildlife Campaign

'Nuisance Wildlife' - A Photographic Exhibit

PPC t-shirt in support of ‘nuisance’ wildlife everywhere

Like Peaceful Parks Coalition

Newspapers Sold In Ontario

Many common household paper products are responsible for the felling of ancient trees, including newspapers. Newspapers are one of the greatest consumers of paper, and contributors to municipal waste streams. Hundreds of thousands of newspapers are sold and discarded every single day, and with them the very trees critical to maintaining biological diversity and wilderness values.

Very few campaigns focus on the newspaper industry, in part, because newspapers are viewed as being vital to information distribution, but there is a strong growing trend towards online news, and is the media of choice for many young readers. So the time is right to begin discussing the negative environmental impacts of the newspaper industry and encourage online readership.

Even though the trend towards online news is rapidly growing, it is not moving fast enough to halt the deforestation of Ontario’s boreal forest. The world's largest suppliers of newsprint clearcut in Ontario's boreal forest. Companies such as Abitibi-Consolidated, Weyerhaeuser and Tembec, giants in the newsprint and paper industry, all have timberlands in northern Ontario's last tracts of ancient boreal forest.

Circulation of the Major Newspapers Sold in Ontario

The Toronto Star reports an 85% increase in online readership since their last circulation audit, November 2005, but circulation of newspapers continues to trump online readers almost 5 to 1.

THE TORONTO STAR

(Aug 2005 to September 2006)

Average daily newspaper circulation:
Monday to Friday – 443,024; Saturday – 643,620; Sunday – 445,048
Total number of newspapers sold in Canada weekly – 3,303,788
Online edition: average 2.6 million unique visitors per month

THE GLOBE AND MAIL
(Aug. 2005 to September 2006)

Average daily newspaper circulation:
Monday to Friday – 329,923; Saturday, 416,584
Total number of newspapers sold in Canada weekly – 2,066,1999
Online edition: average over 3 million unique visitors per month.

THE NATIONAL POST
(Aug. 2005 to September 2006)

Average daily newspaper circulation:
Monday to Friday – 224,264; Saturday – 243,126
Total number of newspapers sold in Canada weekly – 1,364,446
Online edition: approximately 468,000 unique visitors per month (as of June 2007).

THE TORONTO SUN
(Aug. 2005 to September 2006)

Average daily newspaper circulation:
Monday to Friday – 197,453; Saturday – 153,129; Sunday – 341,265
Total number of newspapers sold in Canada weekly – 1,481,659
Online edition: approximately 519,000 unique visitors per month.

The bulk of newspaper sales for each company are within Ontario, and within the City of Toronto. Even though a Toronto bylaw requires that all newspapers sold in vending boxes must contain a minimum of 40% post consumer waste, the other 60% is most likely sourced through the logging companies currently destroying Ontario's boreal forest.

If you currently have a newspaper subscription, please consider cancelling it and read the news online instead. You can link to each newspaper above by clicking on the logo.

Sources: Toronto Star, Globe and Mail, National Post and the Toronto Sun - October 2007

 

Clearly Green Design